Fowl play Welcome to immunity in a bowl – Chicken, Mushroom & Garlic Soup
Whilst quercetin may not boost your immunity or reduce inflammation, at least acutely, the ingredients in this recipe definitely will. Garlic, behind creatine, is quite possibly one of the most researched food-stuffs in history. Garlic, or more specifically it’s active components (allicin and other allium species), have long been known to act like a natural (and safe) antibiotic helping to ward off bacterial, fungal and viral infections.
It also stimulates the cells of the immune system helping you stay healthy and endure long, gruelling training sessions. The chicken contains amino acids which again are needed for optimum immune function but also muscular performance/recovery. The vegetables provide all important micro-vitamins and minerals with the parsley providing, gram for gram, more calcium than even milk, which is important to maximise muscular contractions during exercise.
- 250g Chicken
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
- Fresh parsley & thyme or favourite mixed herb mix
- 1 chicken stock cube
- Fresh, mixed vegetables
- Crusty, Wholegrain Bread (optional)
How to make: step by step with timings
- Dissolve stock cube in 1litre of boiled water.
- Pour stock into saucepan with vegetables, mushrooms & chopped garlic.
- Cook chicken in oven (drizzle with olive oil) until nearly cooked.
- Add chicken to pan with stock, vegetables, mushrooms & garlic.
- Add thyme & parsley or mixed herbs of choice.
- Bring to boil then simmer on a low heat for approx. 20mins.
- Serve with some crusty, wholegrain bread.