Through the Keyhole

Andy Luke
Friday, 26 October, 2012

So I eventually recovered from my post-race illness (NOT man-flu!) and treading carefully, I eased my way back into some gentle exercise.  Now this was nearly 3 weeks after the ultra and it comprised of a couple of easy sessions on the treadmill at work however there was something else that I was being cautious about. Way back at the end of March this year I twisted my left leg at work (playing tennis of all things!).  I was limping about for a week or so later until the pain subsided and I started running again. Over the following months my knee flared up again after a run.   Not wanting to be hampered by it, I started to run with a knee support on.  This seemed to work a treat and soothed the impact the running was taking on it.  Eventually it didn’t even seem to affect my running, the only real problem I had was when I crouched or squatted, the knee just didn’t want to bend all the way without hurting. Having already applied for Operation Ultra I went to the doctors to get his consent to take part.  He referred me to the Orthopaedic Unit at my local Hospital to look at my knee.  I got an appointment within 2 weeks and was seen by a specialist who didn’t think it was serious but “to be on the safe side”, referred me for an MRI scan.  I was fortunate enough to be told there had been a cancellation the following week so they could fit me in then (I’ve been told by some people that they’ve waited months to be seen).  I turned up the following week and lay for nearly half an hour in the big buzzing machine that felt like (and sounded like) I was lying under a reversing JCB whilst attempting to listen to the Foo Fighters through stethoscope-style earphones.  A very strange experience. As fortunate as I was to get the appointment quickly it took about 2 months to receive the letter stating the results.  According to the scan I had torn two bits of cartilage which is causing some rubbing on my joint surface to which they suggested I get keyhole surgery rectify it.  I phoned up advising I would like to pursue it and had to give my availability for the operation.  Now this was at the beginning of September.  I had my holiday in Bulgaria booked and the LadyBower50 at the end of the month so I explained I wasn’t available until October.  The surgeon’s secretary said she would call me back nearer the time to arrange an appointment for the surgery. It was about 2 weeks ago that I received the call asking me if I could come in on 1st November to which I have agreed.   I haven’t been told much about what is involved in the operation apart from that I’m going to be out of action for a few months and I could even be on crutches immediately after the operation.  Rest is on the cards so it’s looking like I’ll be starting my winter hibernation early this year!


No comments yet.
Changes saved

If you would like to leave a comment please log in.



Store Locator

Cookies on
Men's Running

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. These cookies are completely safe and secure and will never contain any sensitive information. They are only used by
Men’s Running or trusted third parties. For more information see our cookie information page.